Accubonds and Africa
This is a discussion on Accubonds and Africa within the Firearms & Ammunition forums, part of the HUNTING EQUIPMENT, FIREARMS & AMMUNITION category; Who here has used the AB's in Africa? The 165's for .308 are shooting well in my son's Tikka. The ...
06-17-2012, 12:56 PM #1
Accubonds and Africa
Who here has used the AB's in Africa? The 165's for .308 are shooting well in my son's Tikka. The most accurate of all the loads I've worked up for him.
Just wondering if anyone has used these for up to Kudu / Gemsbok?U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
06-17-2012, 02:25 PM #2
- Hunted Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
- Cliffy has no Articles
- View Cliffy's Photos
I used them on a 7mm/08 in Namibia in 140 gr.several years ago. I was not impressed with their penetration on oryx. I have used them in 225 gr in my 338/06 and was very pleased with them. As I was with Partitions in 225 gr. In 308 I would limit shots to 200 yds or less. I watched my partner use his .308 with Partitions on wildebeest, heartebeest, oryx and eland. I would say it's OK on the first 3 and very marginal on eland beyond 200 yds. Hence my 200 yd limitation on 308. As with any hunting, shot placement is everything but we can't always plan on the landing spot of our shot therefore my feelings of the .308 being the bottom of my "adequate" list for Africa. JMO and worth what you paid for it :-) I won't be taking my 7mm/08 to Africa again. Me, personally, my 30-06 with 180s is my low end for Africa with Partitions or ABs..
06-17-2012, 05:06 PM #3
Use them in a 270, they work fine. Shot a lot with them. One gemsbok did not get through both shoulders, but then a 375 on the trip didn't either. Did get through two eland.
06-17-2012, 05:21 PM #4
06-18-2012, 10:40 AM #5
06-18-2012, 11:00 AM #6
- Member of Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
- Hunted Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
I use Accubonds in my wifes 7mag (160gr) and my 338 Win Mag.(180gr) Excellent bullets. Extremely accurate and hold together well. Couldn't ask for any more out of a bullet.
Game taken with 160gr Accubond:
Numerous whitetail and exotics
Blue Wildebeest (2)
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM #7
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM #8
06-18-2012, 04:56 PM #9
Thank you gentlemen! It seems the rifle has picked the bullet and it has chosen well.U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
By GaryO in forum Firearms & AmmunitionReplies: 14Last Post: 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM
By PHOENIX PHIL in forum Up To .375Replies: 4Last Post: 01-26-2014, 05:04 PM
By PHOENIX PHIL in forum Firearms & AmmunitionReplies: 37Last Post: 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
By PHOENIX PHIL in forum ReloadingReplies: 0Last Post: 11-27-2010, 05:20 PM
By quackaslaya in forum Firearms & AmmunitionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-28-2010, 10:24 AM