What caliber should I bring for Plains game hunt
My first African hunt will be for plains game targeting Kudu, Gemsbok, Wathog, Impala & may be a pig or other small antelope. The country that I am inclined towards is Namibia or free range South Africa.
I hope to take 2 rifles & would like your suggestion on which to take.
The criteria I want to specify are
1. Appropriate for the game to be taken humanely at sporting range
2. Nostalgia - using a classic rifle / caliber in Africa :cool:
The rifle battery to choose from is.....
1. Mauser 98 Simson - 9.3X62 (made before 1912 - octagon to round barrel with full length rib) - shooting Woodliegh 320 gr RN, Lapua 285 gr RN & Barnes 250 Gr TSX - topped with Leupold 2-7X scope - accurate to 200 meters
2. 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer - 6.5X54MS carbine 18 inch barrel (1930 military conversion) with full stock that I did myself & Leupold 4X scope - shooting 160 gr Hornady RN @ 2100 fps - accurate to 150 meters
3. 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer - original sporter made in 1924 - with 24 inch barrel & peep sights - same 6.5X54MS load @ 2300 fps. - accurate to 150 meters
4. 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer 9.5X57MS take down model made before 1924 - open sights shooting 270 gr & 250 sp bullets @ 2200 to 2300 fps.- accurate to 100 meters
5. Sako L61R 280 Ackley Imp with Swarovski 2.5- 10X scope & shooting 150 tsx or 160 gr Accubond @ 2900 to 3000 fps - accurate to 400 meters
6. Kimber Montana SS 7mm-08 with Leupold 2.5-8X scope & shooting same 7mm bullets @ 2600 to 2700 fps - accurate to 300 meters
I would appreciate any comments. Thanks