Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges off all time
This is a discussion on Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges off all time within the Firearms & Ammunition General forums, part of the Firearms & Ammunition category; My vote: 223 Rem 243 Win 7mm Rem Mag Honorable Mention: 338 Win Mag 375 H&H...
06-18-2011, 11:22 AM #61
- Hunted Missouri, Texas, Kentucky, Alaska
- cavtrooper94 has no Articles
- cavtrooper94 has no Photos
7mm Rem Mag
338 Win Mag
06-24-2011, 02:45 AM #62
06-24-2011, 03:16 AM #63
- Member of onis safaris
- Hunted zimbabwe, tanzania, sudafrica, namibia, mozambique, Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Argentina, Finland, Etc
- karibu has no Articles
- View karibu's Photos
We are talking about best calibers, but what do you take as positive in a caliber or not??
For example, for me a great caliber is a 270 wsm, is fast but a killer, all based on my experience, we now some calibers are good or similars to others in paper, if you look at balistic tables, but we realise that is a group of calibers with bery similars but work bether in the field, for example 308 and 30-06.( for me and for at least 80 % of the people I talk about this, think 308 is beter caliber on the ground) Another thing is facility to find in all countrys, for example, I now if I have to by my ammo in a diferent country than in Spain, for shure I wont find. Is imposible to find a 270wsm in Finland for example, 223 is not aloud in Spain, etc....All the best,
Juan Carlos Aranda
06-24-2011, 10:40 AM #64
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
You post is interesting. Favorite calibers...infer people's preferences, gun restrictions, game that people frequently hunt, game that people wish to hunt, cheap rifles, cheap ammunition, availability of ammo....a whole lot of categories.
I do find it interesting to read peoples choices!
06-24-2011, 01:23 PM #65
- Member of NRA Du .SCI and central wa. chapter
- Hunted New zealandand argentina,Canada,Tanzania eastern cape SA.
- no1waterdog has no Articles
- no1waterdog has no Photos
270 win. 300 WSM and the 375 ruger they will do it all for me. John
06-30-2011, 11:21 PM #66
- Member of NRA, NHA, USSA, QF, CCA, NOGA, SCI,
- Xpraetor has no Articles
- View Xpraetor's Photos
For me in NA
The .30-06 is a pretty all-around cartridge for me. 165 grain for coyote & bobcat, 180 grain for deer & hogs.
Last edited by Xpraetor; 06-30-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spellingAnimus facit nobilem
07-01-2011, 01:08 AM #67
- Member of SA Hunters and Game Conservation Association, Big Bore Association of Southern Africa, SA Sport Hunting Assosiation
- Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe
- Jaco Zeeman has no Articles
- View Jaco Zeeman's Photos
@ Talisker: I owns a 7x57 since 1994, made by Musgrave Arms in South Africa. I shot from a Springbuck (45kg or 100lb) to and Eland (800kg or 1700lb). It never failed me. (The failed shots came from the operator behind the rifle). Recently I won the PMP Pro Amm (Local RSA ammunitions manufacturer) national group shooting championship with 6.25mm (0.24")group of 3 shots at 100m. The caliber's performance is outstanding when the application is correct. It is not realy a long range calibre but can do the the job very well up to 250 - 300 yards. I load 130gr GS Custom bullets at 2900fps and shoot easy up to 300m with only a 4 " drop. The heavier (150 -170gr)bullets drop quite a bit at 300m (8 -14 inches) if zeroed at 200. However, in South Africa not many shots are taken beyond 250 m with 120 probably the average. The long bullet of the 7x57provides a very good SD and penetrates very well. I don't recover many bullets from even large animals like Kudu and even Blue wildebeest; on most, you get an exit wound. You'll be happy with the calibre and its performans. CZ: a very good make and smooth performer. I owns a .375 H&H and a .458 3" Express of that manufacturer.
07-01-2011, 02:28 AM #68
- Hunted Aus, New Zealand,New Calidonia, Mongolia, Zim and Moz
- classicsafari has no Articles
- View classicsafari's Photos
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM #69
- Member of Member SCI, QDMA
- Baydog has no Articles
- Baydog has no Photos
.300wm and .30-06 in a tie
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM #70
- Member of No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
- Hunted US / Canada/Namibia
- joester has no Articles
- joester has no Photos
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM #71
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
458 Win Mag
In that order
Honorable mentions: 375H&H, 30-06 and 8mm Rem Mag"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche
03-10-2012, 01:45 AM #72
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
- Norwegianwoods has no Articles
- View Norwegianwoods's Photos
6.5-06 is my number one.
Then there is a tie between 223 and 375 Ruger.
If no wild cats, then my third would be 6.5x55.
Honorable mentions: 9.3x62 and 300 WSM.
But there are lots of cartridges I really like besides them
03-10-2012, 02:01 AM #73
- Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA
- Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
- Jaco Strauss has no Articles
- View Jaco Strauss's Photos
03-10-2012, 10:33 PM #74
- Member of NRA
- Hunted USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
- Jay Kelley has no Articles
- Jay Kelley has no Photos
If I could only have three...
With those three, you can hunt anything from rabbits to elephants.
My actual collection doesn't have a 22 WMR. Instead I have a 22LR, 243, 30-30 and 375. Will be adding a 30-06 next year.
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM #75
been trying to work out which 3 for a while but couldnt, so sort of cheating but not really
.350 rigby/9.3x62(couldnt help myself!)
definite mental torture trying to work this one out
04-02-2012, 09:04 AM #76
- Member of Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA
- Hunted Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
.338 Win Mag
04-02-2012, 09:47 AM #77
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
- DOCMAN has no Articles
- View DOCMAN's Photos
My all time favorites..
.308 Win, .375 H&H, .404 JefferyPROELIO PROCUSI - Brothers need not always to have the same Mother.
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM #78
- Hunted South Africa (Limpopo, Free-State, North West, Northern Cape) and Botswana (Tuli Area; Selebi-Pikwe, and Tsabong regions)
- Rohan has no Articles
- View Rohan's Photos
In that order ...a pretty standard list
04-02-2012, 04:36 PM #79
04-03-2012, 08:44 AM #80
- PeteG has no Articles
- PeteG has no Photos
.300 win mag
.416 rem mag
Think that about covers it...
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 59Last Post: 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
By WST416 in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 45Last Post: 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
By TOM in forum Bowhunting AfricaReplies: 20Last Post: 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM
By BryceM in forum Hunting North AmericaReplies: 3Last Post: 08-12-2009, 03:32 PM