I saw (and participated in) a thread a while back that asked for your three favorite rounds. I have a different question - what three guns from your current collection would you keep if you could only keep three
Here are mine
Mossberg .22 Semi-Auto
Remington 870 (20 gauge)
good thread jay
and 375 HH (mainly because l havnt had the opportunity to hunt with it yet ,and both the fellas that have have, both taken good stags with her )
7mm Rem Mag in a Super Grade Win Model 70
300 Win Mag in a Browning A-bolt
416 Rem in Win Model 70
BAH! This thread sucks. Whadaya mean just THREE? :heh:
Does this include shotguns? If so...
1. Remington 541s .22 LR (*my dads old .22 - 40 years old or more and still going strong.)
2. Browning Superlight Feather 20ga. straight-grip o/u (6# and just a delight in the field.)
3. Montana 1999 actioned .375 H&H. (20" bbl, topped with a Leica 2.5-10x42 #1 ret.)
If shotguns are not included...
1. Rem. 541s .22 LR
2. Merkel K1 7mm Rem Mag (Loop FX3 6x42 w/Ballistic Dot Ret.)
3. Montana 1999 in .375 H&H
Yeah, I could hunt the world over with that setup. BUT, if I had to sell off my, umm...collection I'd have quite a large spendable cash fund and my three gun collection might look like this:
1. Rem 541s.
2. Merkel K1 7mm RMag
3. Some stupidly nice Double with exceptional wood in 450/400 and an Elephant to go with it. Verney Carron...Searcy...MAYBE a full custom Merkel Safari... But .450/.400. Yeah, I think so.
:rofl: I'll keep my eyes on the Classified the wife did take me buying a new 375 H&H pretty good.
Originally Posted by rnovi
My 3 favorites are:
-Ruger 10/22 Compact 22 LR, great little gun, fun and cheap to shoot
-My Winchester Model 70 270 Winchester, been hunting with it for 19 years (Im only 35) and it has never let me down
-"Thumper" my Winchester Model 70 Safari Grade 375 H&H Mag, great gun, fun to shoot, haven't killed anything with in yet but I'm thrilled with it
I enjoy my CZ in .375 as well. A youngster I hunt with from time to time has a Ruger MkII in .270 - big medicine on anything deer size or smaller out to about 400 yards for him (I can't even see that far, hence the .30-30 in my line-up)
Originally Posted by Meat78
I havent had the time to really build my collection but of the little i've amassed i think i would keep these three:
1. 1960 winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06 (i use 180 grain barnes tsx, excellent penetration, thrilled as can be with the gun) without a scope.
2. AOC/SG 20ga (boxlock SxS made by Ugartechea, contracted and designed by Jon Hollinger)
3. Ruger No.1 in .270 win. With a 2.5-10 scope
1) Remington 700 "Classic" in 35Whelen
2) Remington 700 bdl in 6mm Rem
3) Bushmaster Varmiter in 223 Rem
This is incredibly painful...#'s 1 & 2 I just recently took to Namibia.
In no particular order:
- Blaser R8 Kilombero .375h H&H: my newest most powerful hunting rifle which can also be converted to many rifles with a barrel swap.
- Browning bolt action 30-06: my first hunting rifle and I am extremely sentimental about it.
- Fulton AR-15 match service rifle: I shoot it competitively.
This is reality for normal SA citizens.
This is what i have so far.
6x45 (6mm 223) Custom.
8x60s Brno 21H.
Still got 1 spot open.
Think it will be a 375H&H, Winchester Safari Express or the new SA made Musgrave. That is the dream anyway.
That's because you're a NINJA at hiding gun purchases from your wife. It's the UPS guy that sucks at hiding things.
Originally Posted by Bobpuckett
Do you hunt with the 338 Lapua? I assume so given that this is a hunting forum but just wondering what game you would pursue or have pursued with that round?
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch
My 30-06 Sporter based on a 1941 Austrian
My 223 Remm heavy Barrel Varmiter
My Savage 110 in 308, a Plastic Stock Cheapie,, modded into a super star
M1 DCM Garand H&R .30-06
Whitworth Express .375
Remington 700 M40 (Vietnam era facsimile) .308 Win.
Only one hunting rifle, but it will do it all.
And no 35bore, the M40 aint for sale!!:D
:laughing: Oh come on ses sell it to him, he'll love it.:D
Originally Posted by sestoppelman
.22 BRNO first rifle I bought myself (1984)
.270 BRNO first hunting rifle my dad bought me(1985)
.375 H&H Musgrave K98 had it since 1991,I just love this one.
Wouldn't have even tried, if it is one of the last three you would keep in your safe. Great article BTW, very good read.
Originally Posted by sestoppelman
Hmmm... Tough one to decide, but here goes- I hope that no one from the government is reading and decides to take away what we value most....
1: My Remington 700 BDL in 8mm Rem Mag.
2: My Custom BNZ stamped 98 Mauser in 9.3x62
3: My Winchester 70 Safari Express in 416 Rem Mag.