South Africa Electrical Converter & Adapter
Electricity, the South African standard is 220/230 Volts AC 50 Hz, three-pin 15 amp outlets however Standard European 220 Volts, two-pin outlets are sometimes used as well.
Many lodges/camps have generator(s) to power the electricity through rechargeable batteries therefore it is recommended to bring a small power inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter to invert 12V DC Power to 110V AC for recharging in the hunting vehicle. Generator(s) in most camps are only run during the morning and evening hours and sometimes can be run at other times by special request.
Be sure to check with your hunting outfitter in South Africa what they are using. Many outfitters will already have on hand
for a worldwide voltage guide.
South African Electrical Outlet
- South African standard is 220/230 Volts AC 50 Hz, three-pin 15 amp outlets.
European Electrical Outlet
- European standard is 220 Volts, two-pin outlets.
American / European To South African Outlet Plug Adapter
- To be plugged in a 220V South African outlets. Will accept American and European plugs.
American to European Outlet Plug Adapter
- To be plugged in a 220V European outlets. Will accept American plugs.
- To be plugged in a 110V American outlets.
- For your devices such as cameras, video cameras, computers, etc. that make use of an AC Adapter you might not need a power converter from 110V to 220V to use your 110V portable devices in 220V foreign countries outlets. This is especially true for more recent devices. Just check behind the AC Adapter box and check the power INPUT
, if it reads INPUT : 100-240V : 50-60Hz
your device can safely be used anywhere where the current ranges from 110V to 240V as the AC adapter can handle dual voltage, acting just as a power converter. You will however need to use an American to European and / or South African outlet plug adapter to connect your device to the appropriate foreign outlet.
European 220V to American 110V Adapter and Converter
- For your devices such as electric tooth brushes, electric razors, hair dryers, etc. that do not make use of an AC Adapter you more than likely will need a power converter from 110V to 220V to use your 110V portable devices in 220V foreign countries outlets. Use any 110V portable devices in 220V foreign countries outlets by such power converter which will convert the 220V to 110V, so you can use your devices from the US that were made to work with 110V. Even though made to plug in European two prong outlets, such converter can easily be used in conjunction with a European to South African outlet plug adapter to be utilized in South Africa. A South African 220V to American 110V adapter and converter will be much more difficult to find and expensive to purchase.
Car Power Inverter
- A power inverter will allow you to use and charge your electrical devices that requires an AC power supply in a car.