Place to stay in Joburg SA after the hunt
This is a discussion on Place to stay in Joburg SA after the hunt within the Before & After the Hunt forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; hey all, looking for a recommendation from the community on a place to stay near Jo' burg airport after our ...
09-11-2012, 09:46 AM #1
- Palefty has no Articles
- Palefty has no Photos
Place to stay in Joburg SA after the hunt
hey all, looking for a recommendation from the community on a place to stay near Jo' burg airport after our Safari looking for somewhere to relax get good eats and do a little shopping for a day.. we are traveling with rifles and would like somewhere that is "hunter" friendly.
09-11-2012, 10:32 AM #2
- Member of SCI, RMEF
- Hunted Limpopo, Eastern Cape,Natal
- Blue Skies Hunting Adventures has no Articles
- View Blue Skies Hunting Adventures's Photos
Have you thought about Afton House or African Sky house? Both great places that are close to airport and can handle your guns.Brian
Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
09-11-2012, 10:50 AM #3
- Hagar has no Articles
- Hagar has no Photos
I used Afton House last year. Very safe and a great place.
09-11-2012, 11:23 AM #4
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
The 2 mentioned are good choices...
Do you plan to walk, drive or taxi around to do your looking or shopping?
Another choice is the airport and have your agenda and take a taxi around to the locations...
and then it has a great breakfast spread and short walk to the airport...James Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
09-11-2012, 07:19 PM #5
- Member of ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
- Hunted australia south africa (limpopo) canada (b.c)
- bluey has no Articles
- View bluey's Photos
we stayed at afton house before and after our hunt a gated community is some thing us aussies cant comprehend and young kody still makes jokes about thats not an electric fence you should see em in j bourg
but it is safe and for 25 bucks u.s you get a great steak for tea
they treated us far beyond what we expected and we will definately stat there again next year
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM #6
- Member of Local clubs
- Hunted Canada and RSA
- garyleach has no Articles
- View garyleach's Photos
Stayed at the afton house as well this year, thumbs up, they treated us very well!!!!
09-12-2012, 05:08 AM #7
- Member of Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA
- Hunted Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
I've been to both the Afton House and more recently, the African Sky Guest House. My nod goes to African Sky. Ask for Ray for the meet & great, he's great!
09-12-2012, 07:52 PM #8
- Hunted Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
- Cliffy has no Articles
- View Cliffy's Photos
Joburg is one town that you'll want local advice on where to go and when and how. I stay at the Afton House and they have always been able to get me to safe place to shop, a safe place for a good meal, etc. They also are a cetified gun repository with a large bank type safe to store your weapons. By SA law (from what I understand) they take custody of your firearms until you leave their premisses for your hunt or return flight to the States. I would advise you not to just take off on your own in Joburg, especially at night. Outside of Joburg it's probably more like any big US city. You don't walk down an alley at 2AM in New York do you? Well, don't do it in Africa either. Use your head, be aware, don't be the ugly American and you will have a great trip.
09-19-2012, 07:13 AM #9
- Member of SCI, BASA , PHASA
- Hunted RSA,NAMIBIA,MOZAMBIQUE,ZIMBABWE
- shangwari has no Articles
- View shangwari's Photos
Try Ndlovulodge,i use it for all my clients stay over.Owners will look after you,very nice setting .try to get them on ggogle or wwwndlovulodge.COM
10-26-2012, 07:35 PM #10
My wife and I stayed at African Sky House this year. Beautiful grounds, nice quarters, outstanding hospitality, and good food. We would stay there again!
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM #11
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Don't remember where we stayed, Afton house or another "gun friendly" establishment . However, I must say that if you are going to spend a day or two in Joburg, you have to go to Carnivores resturaunt. Absolutely the best food you will ever eat. Kind of like a Brazilian steak house with the flag and all you can eat, but with African game. Don't be afraid to try everything, Zebra and Giraffe are just as good as the rest. 5 star dining in my book, and with all that meat, there is really no room for veggies."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith
10-26-2012, 07:54 PM #12
35bore : I have that on my list for next year. Thanks!!
10-26-2012, 10:10 PM #13
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
10-29-2012, 02:07 AM #14
10-29-2012, 02:59 AM #15
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
10-29-2012, 03:55 AM #16
10-29-2012, 06:48 AM #17
Making me hungry thinking about it!
10-29-2012, 07:29 AM #18
- Member of NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
- Hunted Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, Louisiana
- Upton O. Good has no Articles
- View Upton O. Good's Photos
I've stayed at Afton House and Africa Sky, my vote goes to Africa Sky for the bigger meal menu and the incredible lemon cheesecake with vanilla ice cream on the side. If they have it, get it.
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 3Last Post: 10-31-2013, 09:56 PM
By Jaco Strauss in forum Life Outside of HuntingReplies: 3Last Post: 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM
By CT Safaris in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 6Last Post: 01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
By Safari Chick in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 5Last Post: 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 1Last Post: 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM