Warthog dipped skull, opinions wanted
This is a discussion on Warthog dipped skull, opinions wanted within the Before & After the Hunt forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; Originally Posted by TOM Can you do carbon fiber look? A flatter, matte finish is what I was thinking immediately ...
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM #21
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
03-26-2012, 08:02 PM #22
- Member of SCI
- Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
- Diamondhitch has no Articles
- View Diamondhitch's Photos
Im not a fan of the camo. I have seen some that look good metalized though. Do you do that as well?The journey is the reward.
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM #23
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM #24
03-26-2012, 08:32 PM #25
03-26-2012, 09:02 PM #26
- Member of NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
- Hunted Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, Louisiana
- Upton O. Good has no Articles
- View Upton O. Good's Photos
I don't like it. The shine and colors make it look to me like it still has the meat on it to my eye.
The camo one looks like camo to me. Not to my taste, but at least I get what is going on. I think that it may appeal to a different demographic than the people who regularly travel abroad to hunt.
I prefer a simple bleached skull although I have seen one bronzed and that looked great.
03-26-2012, 11:54 PM #28
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
- Norwegianwoods has no Articles
- View Norwegianwoods's Photos
I just like my skulls clean and whitened.
Don't like any form for dipping or painting on the skulls at all.
03-27-2012, 12:25 AM #29
- Member of SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
The best hunt are the one in your dreams, the next best are the one in your memories.
- Wolverine67 has no Articles
- View Wolverine67's Photos
03-27-2012, 12:45 AM #30
- Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA
- Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
- Jaco Strauss has no Articles
- View Jaco Strauss's Photos
03-27-2012, 03:16 AM #31
- Member of Member SCI, QDMA
- Baydog has no Articles
- Baydog has no Photos
Don't like it, prefer whitened skulls.
03-27-2012, 09:41 AM #32
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
03-27-2012, 09:49 AM #33
You the funny thing is guys, I agree. I don't like the African skulls dipped but I do like the North American skulls dipped.
But this what my client wanted and we always do what the client wants !!Heath Cline
03-27-2012, 09:58 AM #34
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
You are correct the customer is #1 and what they ask for is what is provided or they will go to some one else.
My wife likes the dipped skull. There are many ways to do skulls and yours is one of them...
As you have indicated this is ART at it finest and what one person likes another doesn't.
I have been to many art shows and thought that some of the top pieces were junk and some that received no recognition were the one i liked best.
Heath you started a thread and it is making everyone think what do they like. Sometimes what they like will not make it in the house if the wife does not like it also.
Pieces like you have displayed, my wife would put on display in the kitchen above the cabinets.
Again it is either liked or dis-liked and you will not change minds here.
James Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
03-27-2012, 10:07 AM #35
Oh I am not trying to change anybody's minds or likes .
I just threw this out there to show it & get some opinions. And to show something a little different.
Oh and I know the clients are #1, believe me on that!! I have had to alter mannikins to what some clients wanted but were not anatomically correct. But the clients were REALLY HAPPY and that is what matters the most. This kinda goes back to an older thread. But this is why we keep clients updated from day one with emails with pictures, to give the clients what they want.Heath Cline
03-27-2012, 10:13 AM #36
Call me a traditionlist but I dont like it I grew up with nice clean bleached white skulls and it almost feels that respect is not shown towards the animal. Just my 2 cents but on the other hand growing with the idea would make anyone believe different. The striking diffrence and contrast between the horns and skull just does it for me its like the greatness of the horns and tusks gets a second seat while they should be the ones that is highlighted.
Heath, I'm not syaing don't do it's just not my taste and if everyone's taste was the same we would live in a very boring world.Frederik Cocquyt, Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Cell: +27 83 709 8927
03-27-2012, 10:45 AM #37
- Hunted USA, Botswana
- Biddleman has no Articles
- Biddleman has no Photos
Put my check mark in the like it box. Something different and breaks things up from the norm. Not saying I would do it for all my trophies. For some odd reason I would also probably like to have the teeth remain white. Would love to see something in the carbon fiber look that TOM suggested.
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM #38
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
03-27-2012, 01:30 PM #39
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Guess I am on the fence here. I like the traditional look of a bleach white Euro mount (love them). However, while in SA stopped by a local pub, Groot Marico, I believe was the name of the town, they had a Blue Wildebeest skull and horns with the SA bulls logo hand painted on it, thought they pulled it off quite nice. Guess I could see this application for use in the business world, more than my personal trophy room. To have a great big Wildebeest or even a Whitetail with my company logo on it, and have it put on my office wall, hell yeah. Here is a thought/question, if someone sent you a business card could you duplicate it onto a skull? I have a Razorback boar skull I would love to thy that on. I could see that taking off for you, plus (i would have to check) but, it may be a tax deductable for your clients. Love the concept and the work is fantastic."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith
By Custom in forum .375 & UpReplies: 26Last Post: 08-23-2013, 08:36 PM
By VanderLaan in forum Up To .375Replies: 52Last Post: 06-17-2013, 04:49 AM
By dustyvarmint in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 7Last Post: 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM