Results 1 to 14 of 14

DSC Convention

This is a discussion on DSC Convention within the Before & After the Hunt forums, part of the HUNT AFRICA category; Hi everyone just a quick note to let you know that Deb and I made it to the DSC Convention ...

  1. #1
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,595

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Thumbs up DSC Convention

    Hi everyone just a quick note to let you know that Deb and I made it to the DSC Convention and it was Great met up with a lot of AH members there Roy and his wife of Otjandaue Safaris, Louis of Spiral Horn Safaris, Johnny of Johnny Vivier Wintershoek Safaris, Hartzview Safaris, Kowas Safaris, Greg & Bruce of Huntershill Safaris, Ed of EAI Outdoors just to list a few. This was our first time to ever go to a Convention like this and we had a great time we were also told that this was the biggest show that DSC had ever had, hope a lot of you got to make it to the show.
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  2. #2
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,268

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    BRICKBURN has no Articles
    View BRICKBURN's Photos

    Default

    How long did you spend wandering the show?
    Any notables? New stuff?
    Auction prices?
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  3. #3
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,595

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Deb and I spent 2 days walking around and checking everything out and I still don't think we saw it all it was a pretty big show but we had a really good time and seen lots of sights.
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  4. #4
    TOM's Avatar
    TOM
    TOM is offline AH Elite
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,595

    Member of SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU

    Hunted Africa...are there other continents to hunt?

    Default

    How was the "temperature" of the attendees? Do you think there were many hunts being booked?
    Tom

  5. #5
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,268

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    BRICKBURN has no Articles
    View BRICKBURN's Photos

    Default

    Very good question Tom.
    Forecast--- below average temperatures?
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  6. #6
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,595

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    How was the "temperature" of the attendees? Do you think there were many hunts being booked?
    I can't speak for all of the outfitters but it looked good to me a lot of people doing a lot of looking I know yesterday morning was hot one outfitter booked 7 hunts in 2 hrs they open the doors a 10:00 am by noon with us setting there visiting I watched 7 people book a hunt, on friday I saw 1 guy come up and book a hunt for himself and a group of 9, so it looked good to me. all of the booths were getting a lot of visitors and as I looked at their info I watched as they sat at the table booking hunts for several people in fact I even upgraded mine I added a Red hartebeest for the wife and a Bushpig for myself.
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  7. #7
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,595

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKBURN View Post
    How long did you spend wandering the show?
    Any notables? New stuff?
    Auction prices?
    Now that I'm back home I'll try and add a little more answer to your Questions.
    as for new stuff to much to even mention and a lot of it i.e. Hummer w/drivers seat and hunters seats on top of rig Texas Style way out of my blue collar range.
    Auction prices ran about half to 2/3 of listed price some really good deals where had.
    and as for notables well the pics speak for their self.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  8. #8
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,190

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    enysse has no Articles
    View enysse's Photos

    Default

    I'm glad you and your wife had a good time Bob!

  9. #9
    Mike70560's Avatar
    Mike70560 is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    798

    Member of NRA, DU, DSC

    Hunted Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    How was the "temperature" of the attendees? Do you think there were many hunts being booked?
    Tom,

    Overall I felt it was a good show in terms of booking. Speaking with a couple of the travel agents it seems as though it was their best show in the last few years. One suprising comment from a travel agent is they saw quite a few bookings for Botswana. Not suprising was their comment that Tanzania bookings were still slow.

    Also, I had the pleasure to meet Shakey and Phoenix Phil at the show.

  10. #10
    Shakey's Avatar
    Shakey is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    189

    Member of SCI, DSC, NRA

    Hunted US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North), Botswana

    Shakey has no Articles
    View Shakey's Photos

    Default

    It was pleasure meeting you Mike, as well as finally getting to meet Martin in person. I had hoped Martin was shorter and fatter ... guess I better start working out if I'm going to keep up!

    Great show. Last year was my first time to attend, and it was definitely bigger and better this year. Picked up one of Boddington's new books "Elephant!", which he signed for me. Attended Ivan Carter's "Beasts of Legend" seminar - what a class act. Butch Searcy attended this year, so it was good to be able to talk face-to-face with him.

    It was especially nice to see the buses arrive Friday with a large number of young folks who participated in events and attended the show. Ivan was about 15 minutes late to his seminar because he spent time with these kids on Friday afternoon. If we're going to continue to enjoy this great sport and play a key role in conservation around the globe, we better devote some significant time and effort towards engaging the next generation.

    The only depressing part of the convention was outfitter after outfitter commented on the ever increasing difficulty experienced in conducting hunting operations. One of Johan Calitz's concessions in Botswana is going away. Taking a rhino will likely remain only a dream of mine, but it continues to get even further away with the restrictions and prices. One outfitter commented that the South African Veterinarian Society (I probably don't have the right name for the organization) is no longer endorsing the darting of rhinos, so permits to even dart one are getting difficult to obtain?

    Find an organization that actively advocates hunting, properly educates the general public, is regarded as a credible group and become a contributing member.
    Shakey Katy, TX

  11. #11
    PHOENIX PHIL's Avatar
    PHOENIX PHIL is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,867

    Member of SCI

    Hunted USA, S. Africa

    PHOENIX PHIL has no Articles
    View PHOENIX PHIL's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70560 View Post
    Tom,

    Overall I felt it was a good show in terms of booking. Speaking with a couple of the travel agents it seems as though it was their best show in the last few years. One suprising comment from a travel agent is they saw quite a few bookings for Botswana. Not suprising was their comment that Tanzania bookings were still slow.

    Also, I had the pleasure to meet Shakey and Phoenix Phil at the show.
    Man am I beat. I was up at 3:30am this morning to make it to DFW for my 6am flight back to Phoenix and a full day back at work. Note to those going to the shows, if you are not checking in bags, don't buy bullets for reloading. TSA made me check my suitcase after giving me a big ration of you know what. So in effect I paid $25 for shipping bullets this morning.

    Anyway, other than that snafu it was a great show and it was great to meet you Mike and your lovely wife. Sorry I missed you Bob. I think you came by Hartzview's booth when I was wandering the floor a little bit. I believe you only met Gerhard who is not an AH member. Jacques I believe had taken a client over to see Lori for travel help.
    U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
    Email: philip.clayton@cox.net
    480-861-9232
    www.hvsafaris.com

  12. #12
    PHOENIX PHIL's Avatar
    PHOENIX PHIL is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,867

    Member of SCI

    Hunted USA, S. Africa

    PHOENIX PHIL has no Articles
    View PHOENIX PHIL's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    It was pleasure meeting you Mike, as well as finally getting to meet Martin in person. I had hoped Martin was shorter and fatter ... guess I better start working out if I'm going to keep up!

    Great show. Last year was my first time to attend, and it was definitely bigger and better this year. Picked up one of Boddington's new books "Elephant!", which he signed for me. Attended Ivan Carter's "Beasts of Legend" seminar - what a class act. Butch Searcy attended this year, so it was good to be able to talk face-to-face with him.

    It was especially nice to see the buses arrive Friday with a large number of young folks who participated in events and attended the show. Ivan was about 15 minutes late to his seminar because he spent time with these kids on Friday afternoon. If we're going to continue to enjoy this great sport and play a key role in conservation around the globe, we better devote some significant time and effort towards engaging the next generation.

    The only depressing part of the convention was outfitter after outfitter commented on the ever increasing difficulty experienced in conducting hunting operations. One of Johan Calitz's concessions in Botswana is going away. Taking a rhino will likely remain only a dream of mine, but it continues to get even further away with the restrictions and prices. One outfitter commented that the South African Veterinarian Society (I probably don't have the right name for the organization) is no longer endorsing the darting of rhinos, so permits to even dart one are getting difficult to obtain?

    Find an organization that actively advocates hunting, properly educates the general public, is regarded as a credible group and become a contributing member.
    Sorry I missed you to I think Shakey. I'm to start into my copy of Elephant! I had initially only bought Craig's "Buffalo" book. I then came to my senses and realized that having the opportunity to buy a signed limited edition and not doing so would be something I'd regret.
    U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
    Email: philip.clayton@cox.net
    480-861-9232
    www.hvsafaris.com

  13. #13
    sestoppelman's Avatar
    sestoppelman is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,196

    Member of NRA, NA Hunt Club

    Hunted Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa

    Default

    I simply must do that show someday. I have done SHOT a few times and a lot of the same people frequent that as well, but its not about hunting primarily but shooting trades. Still its fun. Met many of the big names there.

  14. #14
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,595

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Yeah I'm sorry I missed you guys to deb and I had a great time meeting the members that we did meet but to no surprise that the members are just as nice in person as they are on this forum they'll be other conventions and we can try to meet up then. sestoppelman you really should try to make one of the conventions deb and I never thought about going before either I guess I alway thought it to be a waist of time but we really had a good time meeting other members and yeah as you can tell by the pics acting like tourist but it was fun.
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

Similar Threads

  1. AH Get Together at SCI Convention 2012
    By AfricaHunting.com in forum AH Get Togethers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
  2. AH Get Together at SCI Convention 2011
    By AfricaHunting.com in forum AH Get Togethers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. SCI or DSC Convention?
    By beretta shooter in forum Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM
  4. Not a convention, but a convergence!
    By tarawa in forum Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 04:47 AM
  5. SCI Convention - Reno
    By wheelz99 in forum Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •