Detailed Trophy (self) Clearing Process?
I have a trip to RSA planned in August and one of the major pieces I need to solve is gathering information on clearing a trophy shipment myself to save a few dollars. I've seen DLS's helpful post and I've really worked through the USFWS website (information is very scattered there), but I still need some more detailed info:
1) How is the shipment addressed from Africa - to your house or just to the port of entry? And then how would they know to contact you?
2) Do you fill out any declarations ahead of time or only after being notified that the shipment is at the POE?
3) What is the form number of the proper USFWS declaration?
4) I can't remember what number 4 is :)...
thanks for the help, dv
Answers to your questions
My answers are below.
Originally Posted by dustyvarmint
I have brought in mine and my Dad's trophys 4 times using both NewYork and Baltimore. Be aware if you are bringing in a Warthog it either has to go to a USDA Licensed facility for Quarantine or must be tanned overseas to forego the Q. If you do not have a dip and pack company picked out, I recommend "Dip and Pack". Make sure you understand costs for packing before you go. Long story short I almost got scr...d by my Safari Co and his in the pocket Taxidermist over there. Also make sure that your Safari Company understands you do not want to go through any broker for importing.
1) Have it Addressed to your home address. It should be coming air freight so there will be an Airway Bill Number that you ask from the dip and pack person so you can track it. The air cargo company will call you once it reaches the port of entry also.
2) You do all the paper work at the port of entry. USFW agents will clear the shipment and fill the necessary form out. I always call before I hunt and a week before the shipment arrives and talk with them.
3) See #2