South Africa VAT Question and Import Question
Headed to SA April 24th and have a couple of questions. Please bear with me as I am a newbie and never been to Africa before. These may be stupid questions but I do not know and need to know.
I was told to keep reciepts and there is a form to fill out to get back the VAT I spend in SA.
1) What about the VAT on the hunt itself? Can I get that back and how?
2) What about the dip and pack VAT? Is there VAT on the dip and pack?
3) I plan to have some flat skins tanned there. What about any VAT on them?
4) Shipping them to the USA. Is there a VAT on that and can I get it back?
5) We are sightseeing in Capetown before hunting out of PE. Is there a VAT on the hotel bill? Can I get that back?
I was told there is a counter at the airport to do this and would like to kind of know what I am doing before I get there.
I would like to bring home an elephant hair bracelet or 2 but was told the USA customs would take it. Yet I have heard others who did bring them home and did not get them taken. What is the deal? How do I get it home safely, if possible?
I would also like to bring home a couple of carved or uncarved warthog tusk. Is there a way I can do this and not have them taken at customs?
Anything I should NOT buy to bring home? This way I will not waste my money on items that I cannot bring into the USA.
We are looking forward to this trip and I want things to go as smothly as possible.
Thank you in advance for any helpfull answers---Doug