Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

375 Ruger vs 375 HH

This is a discussion on 375 Ruger vs 375 HH within the .375 & Up forums, part of the HUNTING EQUIPMENT, FIREARMS & AMMUNITION category; I think about building a big game rifle on a Mauser m98. I was thinking about a 375 HH, but ...

  1. #1
    Wolverine67's Avatar
    Wolverine67 is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    542

    Member of SCI, SHAC, RW Guild

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa

    Wolverine67 has no Articles
    View Wolverine67's Photos

    Default 375 Ruger vs 375 HH

    I think about building a big game rifle on a Mauser m98. I was thinking about a 375 HH, but then there are the question about case lenght (COAL). Then I was looking into 375 Ruger, which have a shorter and fatter case, designed to fit standard action lenght.
    So my question are; do anyone have experience with the Ruger? My intention are up to and buffalo.
    The best hunt are the one in your dreams, the next best are the one in your memories.

    website: www.jaktgal.com/

  2. #2
    Second Wind is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    276

    Member of by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member

    Hunted US, Canada, Mexico

    Second Wind has no Articles
    Second Wind has no Photos

    Default

    Is there no class left?

    You are arming yourself for the trip of a lifetime to a continent steeped in history, mystery and legend

    There is no question that you should bear a caliber befitting the experience!

    A 375 Ruger in Africa is akin to wearing a Grateful Dead T-Shirt to opening night at the London Philharmonic

    No wait ...... was that you?
    "He even took the gramophone on safari. Three rifles, provisions for a month and . . . . Mozart"
    Karen Blixen

  3. #3
    Just Passing Through's Avatar
    Just Passing Through is offline AH Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    74
    Just Passing Through has no Articles
    Just Passing Through has no Photos

    Default

    I have both a .375 Ruger and .375 H&H. The Ruger is easy to reload, very accurate, and feeds slickly with the beltless case. My chronograph tells me that the Ruger is just a bit faster with top loads, but I usually load the Ruger down to match the H&H velocity. The Ruger is a well designed modern version of the good old H&H, and seems to become more popular each year. I doubt that factory ammunition will ever be as common for the Ruger as it is for the H&H in the far off places, but both factory rounds and reloading components are easy to get delivered to your home (at least in the U.S.).

  4. #4
    Second Wind is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    276

    Member of by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member

    Hunted US, Canada, Mexico

    Second Wind has no Articles
    Second Wind has no Photos

    Default

    Mr. Wolverine,

    Say, I went to your web site and think I see the problem . . .. .

    What is that ? Middle - Dutch?
    "He even took the gramophone on safari. Three rifles, provisions for a month and . . . . Mozart"
    Karen Blixen

  5. #5
    35bore's Avatar
    35bore is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,969

    Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever

    Hunted USA, South Africa, France

    35bore has no Articles
    View 35bore's Photos

    Default

    Bump your K98 up to a 458 win. (It'l fit in that 98 platform you have chosen) I keep saying this, if your ammo gets lost, stick with a WELL established round so you can buy it in whatever country you are hunting in.
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith

  6. #6
    Red Leg's Avatar
    Red Leg is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    502

    Member of SCI NRA DSC life memberships

    Hunted Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Second Wind View Post
    Is there no class left?

    You are arming yourself for the trip of a lifetime to a continent steeped in history, mystery and legend

    There is no question that you should bear a caliber befitting the experience!

    A 375 Ruger in Africa is akin to wearing a Grateful Dead T-Shirt to opening night at the London Philharmonic

    No wait ...... was that you?

    Dude ...... You are a poet, a humorest and a classicist! Oh yeah, and you are absolutely right.
    "We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
    night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill

  7. #7
    Second Wind is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    276

    Member of by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member

    Hunted US, Canada, Mexico

    Second Wind has no Articles
    Second Wind has no Photos

    Default

    Thank You for the compliment Mr. Red Leg and might I say what superb judge of character you are.
    "He even took the gramophone on safari. Three rifles, provisions for a month and . . . . Mozart"
    Karen Blixen

  8. #8
    Wolverine67's Avatar
    Wolverine67 is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    542

    Member of SCI, SHAC, RW Guild

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa

    Wolverine67 has no Articles
    View Wolverine67's Photos

    Default

    Lol. Did I upset some traditionalists....
    I like the 375 HH, but it is a 100 year old cartridge...
    And I do think mr. Craig Boddington know what he's talking about.
    Meet The .375 Ruger
    The language on my website are Norwegian by the way.
    The best hunt are the one in your dreams, the next best are the one in your memories.

    website: www.jaktgal.com/

  9. #9
    Second Wind is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    276

    Member of by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member

    Hunted US, Canada, Mexico

    Second Wind has no Articles
    Second Wind has no Photos

    Default

    Norwegian....well that proves my point!

    And that Boddington fellow, I think I remember buying a used Plymouth from him is 1968,

    nice car if you like tail fins

    Seriously, you can ballisticize this thing to death....but, it is so much more than that.

    It's heritage, its tradition, its....I mean please, don't embarrass yourself like this

    just put down the magazine, turn off the dvd and it is refered to as a three seven five Holland, not a threesevertyfive or a Holland and Holland

    Join the club, be a part of the team, get in the game

    Hell,I'm still trying to get past this whole Norwegian thing
    "He even took the gramophone on safari. Three rifles, provisions for a month and . . . . Mozart"
    Karen Blixen

  10. #10
    Fritz Rabe's Avatar
    Fritz Rabe is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    211

    Member of PHASA, South African Bowhunting Association (SABA) Instructor, NSRI

    Hunted SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Mozambique, Ethipoia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Canada, USA, Spain

    Default

    Old round, new round or future round. It does not matter. In all my years of hunting I have NEVER seen a .375H&H, .375Ruger rifle or case kill one single animal.
    I have however seen plenty animals die from a well placed .375 caliber bullet that was fired from those rifles.
    In the end. Does it matter how old the design is that fired said round as long as it is 270gr doing 2680fps or 300gr at 2550fps.
    Bowtech Beast 92lb
    1050gr Easton DG @ 236fps
    180gr German Kinetics

  11. #11
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,570

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Second Wind View Post
    Norwegian....well that proves my point!

    And that Boddington fellow, I think I remember buying a used Plymouth from him is 1968,

    nice car if you like tail fins

    Seriously, you can ballisticize this thing to death....but, it is so much more than that.

    It's heritage, its tradition, its....I mean please, don't embarrass yourself like this

    just put down the magazine, turn off the dvd and it is refered to as a three seven five Holland, not a threesevertyfive or a Holland and Holland

    Join the club, be a part of the team, get in the game

    Hell,I'm still trying to get past this whole Norwegian thing
    thats funny as i have heard it referred to as a three seven five H and H, and three seven five holland and holland by english gunmakers in their show rooms.

  12. #12
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,570

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Rabe View Post
    Old round, new round or future round. It does not matter. In all my years of hunting I have NEVER seen a .375H&H, .375Ruger rifle or case kill one single animal.
    I have however seen plenty animals die from a well placed .375 caliber bullet that was fired from those rifles.
    In the end. Does it matter how old the design is that fired said round as long as it is 270gr doing 2680fps or 300gr at 2550fps.
    fritz i like old calibres, but i agree with you, and also its up to the individual to choose which calibre they wish to use/build a rifle in. also i am not sure about this idea of being able to go to the gunshop and buy some more ammo in africa if yours is lost. you might be able to buy off the ph if he has spare ,or some one he knows has, but as you dont have a local licence for the country i dont know if you would be able to buy any from a dealer. i know you wouldnt be able to in zambia, and as you are only allowed 100 rounds a year for each rifle there most people dont want to sell. i dont know how it works in other african countries , but would be interested if people with the knowledge of how it works in SA, namibia,tanzania, zim etc could maybe answer this.

  13. #13
    Norwegianwoods's Avatar
    Norwegianwoods is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    998

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa

    Norwegianwoods has no Articles
    View Norwegianwoods's Photos

    Default

    The "what if your ammo get lost" argument is something I don't care about at all.
    What if your gun is lost?
    What if all your suitcases and bags are lost?
    What if my bow and arrows are lost?

    Well, if sh*t happens, then deal with it and find a solution.

    I own a 375Ruger myself and I am very happy with it.
    I am sure I would be happy with the old 375 H&H lady too, but I chose the young one.
    But I would choose the Ruger again if I should buy a 375 today.

    I really don't see that you need anything bigger than a 375 for buffs.

  14. #14
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,570

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegianwoods View Post
    The "what if your ammo get lost" argument is something I don't care about at all.
    What if your gun is lost?
    What if all your suitcases and bags are lost?
    What if my bow and arrows are lost?

    Well, if sh*t happens, then deal with it and find a solution.

    I own a 375Ruger myself and I am very happy with it.
    I am sure I would be happy with the old 375 H&H lady too, but I chose the young one.
    But I would choose the Ruger again if I should buy a 375 today.

    I really don't see that you need anything bigger than a 375 for buffs.
    WOW! i take someone on this thread has pissed you off, or you got out of the wrong side of the bed?

  15. #15
    Fritz Rabe's Avatar
    Fritz Rabe is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    211

    Member of PHASA, South African Bowhunting Association (SABA) Instructor, NSRI

    Hunted SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Mozambique, Ethipoia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Canada, USA, Spain

    Default

    There are very-very few camps in ALL of Africa where they do not have a .375H&H and or the ammo for it. That is because it is the most universal rifle that 99,9% of PH's recommend that a client must bring or use for African hunting where DG or large plains game are hunted.

    A PH does not care one little bit about the knock-down power of a client's bullet. He cares about where the client puts that bullet. For a first shot at any animal, knock-down power is not important. Accuracy and penetration is the paramount factor.

    In SA you can get .375H&H ammo in about every town and if you have the temp. import permit you can buy. If you do not have the permit with you then your PH or outfitter will organize.
    Bowtech Beast 92lb
    1050gr Easton DG @ 236fps
    180gr German Kinetics

  16. #16
    Norwegianwoods's Avatar
    Norwegianwoods is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    998

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa

    Norwegianwoods has no Articles
    View Norwegianwoods's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike.t View Post
    WOW! i take someone on this thread has pissed you off, or you got out of the wrong side of the bed?
    No, not really
    Sorry if what I wrote came out like that.

    I am a bit tired of the "what if your ammo is lost" argument, but no one has pissed me off on this forum so far

  17. #17
    Wolverine67's Avatar
    Wolverine67 is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    542

    Member of SCI, SHAC, RW Guild

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa

    Wolverine67 has no Articles
    View Wolverine67's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Second Wind View Post
    Norwegian....well that proves my point!

    And that Boddington fellow, I think I remember buying a used Plymouth from him is 1968,

    nice car if you like tail fins

    Seriously, you can ballisticize this thing to death....but, it is so much more than that.

    It's heritage, its tradition, its....I mean please, don't embarrass yourself like this

    just put down the magazine, turn off the dvd and it is refered to as a three seven five Holland, not a threesevertyfive or a Holland and Holland

    Join the club, be a part of the team, get in the game

    Hell,I'm still trying to get past this whole Norwegian thing
    Please tell me what my native language have to do with it? You quote Karen Blixen in your signature. She was Danish you know....
    And the round is usually referred to as 375 Holland AND Holland magnum. Believe it or not. Do not embarrass your self....
    To the rest of you, thanks for the replies. I discovered another thread about the same question, so I think I will find some answers there.
    The best hunt are the one in your dreams, the next best are the one in your memories.

    website: www.jaktgal.com/

  18. #18
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,570

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegianwoods View Post
    No, not really
    Sorry if what I wrote came out like that.

    I am a bit tired of the "what if your ammo is lost" argument, but no one has pissed me off on this forum so far
    ok no probs. we all have things that piss us off !

  19. #19
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,570

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine67 View Post
    Please tell me what my native language have to do with it? You quote Karen Blixen in your signature. She was Danish you know....
    And the round is usually referred to as 375 Holland AND Holland magnum. Believe it or not. Do not embarrass your self....
    To the rest of you, thanks for the replies. I discovered another thread about the same question, so I think I will find some answers there.
    second wind i was also trying to work out what the norwegian language/"norwegian thing" is about. i think your whole post was pretty condescending , bit out of order really.

  20. #20
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,201

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    enysse has no Articles
    View enysse's Photos

    Default

    I guess if I was going through the effort to build a rifle. I'd build a .404 Jeffery...but that is me. There is nothing wrong with the young 375 Ruger. Some of us like the tradition of the 375 H&H.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H
    By mstewart44 in forum .375 & Up
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM
  2. Ruger #1 in .300 H&H
    By jduckhunter in forum Up To .375
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
  3. Ruger M77 RSM 375 H&H
    By jsmcgregor in forum .375 & Up
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  4. Ruger M77 Magnum in 416 Ruger - Opinions
    By marshy in forum .375 & Up
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM
  5. .416 Ruger
    By Skyline in forum Firearms & Ammunition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •