This is a discussion on New CZ550 within the .375 & Up forums, part of the Firearms & Ammunition category; Just bought a new CZ550 in .375 H&H. I love it! Shoots well and recoil isn't really any worse than ...
02-11-2012, 01:59 PM #1
- Member of NRA
- Hunted USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
- Jay Kelley has no Articles
- Jay Kelley has no Photos
Just bought a new CZ550 in .375 H&H. I love it! Shoots well and recoil isn't really any worse than a lightweight 30-06
Planning an overseas dangerous game hunt with friends within the next five years - We're thinking Buffalo in Australia.
I know a lot of folk on this site are old hands, but this is pretty big stuff for us. Just wanted to say your site has been a big help.
02-11-2012, 02:37 PM #2
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Your purchase was a wise one. The CZ 550 is a great rifle, and the caliber is fantastic. I hope you have many years of happy shooing with your rifle. I owned one in 416 Rigby, and a 100 yrds you could cover 3 shots with a half dollar. Good luck in Australia. BTW welcome to the forum.
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM #3
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
Welcome to AH, I have a 375 H&H CZ 550 and yes it's a great rifle.
02-11-2012, 03:00 PM #4
- Member of SCI MWF DU Canada MWF DU RMEF
- Hunted canada US RSA Zimbabwe
- M. Egan has no Articles
- M. Egan has no Photos
the exact rifle and caliber that I used for my ones shot cape buffalo and the exact same rifle and caliber I am using for my elephant in about six weeks.
02-11-2012, 03:50 PM #5
Hello Jay, welcome to the forums.
We have two .375's as loan rifles in our camp, one of them being identical to your CZ 550 which a lot of our clients use to successfuly take Asiatic buffalo with.
Loaded with a premium grade projectile which is delivered to a vital area, the .375 is a very effective buffalo cartridge.
Although now extremely expensive here in Aus we have found the Barnes Tripple Shok the most reliable and consistent penetrating bullet.
I could also reccomend C.E.B's (Cutting Edge Bullets) and North Forks.
Good luck with your 550 and good hunting.
02-11-2012, 11:48 PM #6
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
02-12-2012, 03:16 AM #7
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
- DOCMAN has no Articles
- View DOCMAN's Photos
Now the real fun starts - working up your favourite accurate load..!PROELIO PROCUSI - Brothers need not always to have the same Mother.
02-12-2012, 05:15 AM #8
- Member of SSAA, NZDA
- Hunted Germany, NZ, Australia
- timbear has no Articles
- timbear has no Photos
Good choice, Jay. I have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H that I bought off a bloke in the Northern Territory, and he used to hunt water buffalo with it. Great rifle, great caliber, just got to love it! Best of luck with your hunt!Overkill is underestimated!
02-12-2012, 05:25 AM #9
- Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA
- Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
- Jaco Strauss has no Articles
- View Jaco Strauss's Photos
Jay, it will become like an extended arm Welcome to the site, Paul T can help but also check out Leithen valley hunts as well as coralsea, I have known George(Leithen) for the last decade with going to the US and what not, good solid honest hard hunting company,
And off course they take some rippers,
02-12-2012, 08:37 AM #10
- Member of NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
- Hunted South Africa, Germany, USA
- RickB has no Articles
- View RickB's Photos
Welcome to AH Jay! You made a great choice in the CZ, enjoy!"Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever."
02-12-2012, 09:02 AM #11
- Hunted South Africa (Limpopo, Free-State, North West, Northern Cape) and Botswana (Tuli Area; Selebi-Pikwe, and Tsabong regions)
- Rohan has no Articles
- View Rohan's Photos
A warm welcome to the forum.
I used a .375H&H CZ550 since my mid teens and I can honestly say that the bark is definitely bigger than the bite. The recoil management is excellent and definitely comparable to that of a .30-06. Good choice! With the standard factory 24" barrel it shot most accurately with factory-loaded PMP286grain bullets. With a pretty common 3-9X40 scope I was confident in the Kalahari with those open long ranges on gemsbuck and red hartebeest, and in the Limpopo I faired quite well with bush game at close ranges. Confidence and comfort with ones rifle is key. You can't go wrong with a .375H&H.
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM #12
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Welcome to the forum, Jay, that s a nice rifle !
02-17-2012, 03:03 PM #13
- Member of RMEF DU SCI NRA
- Hunted CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
- BARTFRNCS has no Articles
- View BARTFRNCS's Photos
Great rifle choice it will serve you well as long as you practice with it. welcome!
By mlg in forum Up To .375Replies: 41Last Post: 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM
By Deinotherium in forum .375 & UpReplies: 5Last Post: 08-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Where & How In Zimbabwe &/ Or South Africa Can l Buy - CZ550 Safari Magnum Rifle (DG) chambered in .375 H & H or .404 Jeffery ?By Ekhaya2000 in forum .375 & UpReplies: 16Last Post: 04-06-2012, 12:42 AM
By mr50bmg in forum .375 & UpReplies: 6Last Post: 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
By PHOENIX PHIL in forum .375 & UpReplies: 12Last Post: 08-25-2011, 11:00 AM