Results 1 to 10 of 10

458 lott bullet selection

This is a discussion on 458 lott bullet selection within the .375 & Up forums, part of the HUNTING EQUIPMENT, FIREARMS & AMMUNITION category; My Buff rifle arrived this weekend, CZ 550 safari in 458 Lott, my bullet choice to test is barnes TSX ...

  1. #1
    taskmastermaren is offline New Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3

    Hunted Canada (AB) Namibia

    taskmastermaren has no Photos

    Default 458 lott bullet selection

    My Buff rifle arrived this weekend, CZ 550 safari in 458 Lott, my bullet choice to test is barnes TSX 500GR and North fork CPS 450Gr. Also got some Hornady 500gr DGS. We will see how they shoot this spring as i will develop some loads. Might get a chance to test on spring bear wondering suggested loads for the above ?? anyone use this combo?

  2. #2
    BnC 04's Avatar
    BnC 04 is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    243

    Member of SCI, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA

    Hunted US (ND,CO,TX,OK,KS,MO,TN,KY,SC,GA,AK), South Africa

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taskmastermaren View Post
    My Buff rifle arrived this weekend, CZ 550 safari in 458 Lott, my bullet choice to test is barnes TSX 500GR and North fork CPS 450Gr. Also got some Hornady 500gr DGS. We will see how they shoot this spring as i will develop some loads. Might get a chance to test on spring bear wondering suggested loads for the above ?? anyone use this combo?
    First off Welcome to the forum and the new rifle!!

    I have a custom Win 70 in 458 Lott that I hand load for. Been using both the 500 gr DGX & DGS and have been very happy with performance. Running a compressed load and found what she eats best after a few trips to the range. Once I get my reloading book out I will shoot you a PM of the brews that have worked best for me.

    Nathan
    "A Wife and a Steady Job have Ruined Many a Good Hunter" E.H.

  3. #3
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,319

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    Default

    Although not exact match this thread is instructive.

    http://www.africahunting.com/firearm...tion-test.html
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  4. #4
    AkMike's Avatar
    AkMike is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    583

    Member of NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS

    Default

    You also should consider the new CEB bullets. Both the HP's and the solids are top quality.

  5. #5
    Wheels's Avatar
    Wheels is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    750

    Hunted Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania

    Default

    Welcome to the forum.

    Congratulations on your new rifle.
    "TIME"........God's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

  6. #6
    PHOENIX PHIL's Avatar
    PHOENIX PHIL is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,872

    Member of SCI

    Hunted USA, S. Africa

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taskmastermaren View Post
    My Buff rifle arrived this weekend, CZ 550 safari in 458 Lott, my bullet choice to test is barnes TSX 500GR and North fork CPS 450Gr. Also got some Hornady 500gr DGS. We will see how they shoot this spring as i will develop some loads. Might get a chance to test on spring bear wondering suggested loads for the above ?? anyone use this combo?
    Welcome to AH. If North Fork makes their bonded cores in .458, I'd look at those too for a first shot. For load info, don't hesitate to call or email them, super nice gents there.

    The Barnes manual is might only suggestion for their offerings.

    One other bullet suggestion would be the brass bullets from Cutting Edge Bullets. I don't have load info for you but I know where I can get it. Just let me know if you're interested.
    U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
    Email: philip.clayton@cox.net
    480-861-9232
    www.hvsafaris.com

  7. #7
    taskmastermaren is offline New Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3

    Hunted Canada (AB) Namibia

    taskmastermaren has no Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PHOENIX PHIL View Post
    Welcome to AH. If North Fork makes their bonded cores in .458, I'd look at those too for a first shot. For load info, don't hesitate to call or email them, super nice gents there.

    The Barnes manual is might only suggestion for their offerings.

    One other bullet suggestion would be the brass bullets from Cutting Edge Bullets. I don't have load info for you but I know where I can get it. Just let me know if you're interested.

    Thanks,

    Some people have raised concern about the brass bullets leaving material build up in the barrel? I have not any experience with these myself, what is your opinion?

  8. #8
    taskmastermaren is offline New Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3

    Hunted Canada (AB) Namibia

    taskmastermaren has no Photos

    Default

    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have frequented this site quite a bit for valuable information in the past but had not joined until now. Posting is new for me, so just getting this all figured out.

  9. #9
    PaulT's Avatar
    PaulT is offline AH Fanatic
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    617

    Member of S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.

    Hunted Aus. N.Z & Zim.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taskmastermaren View Post
    Thanks,

    Some people have raised concern about the brass bullets leaving material build up in the barrel? I have not any experience with these myself, what is your opinion?
    To date I have in excess of 300+ pure brass C.E.B Safari Raptors down the tube of my .50cal wildcat with absolutely no signs of any metal fouling whatsoever.
    Infact (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it), I only just recently cleaned the barrel out for the very first time at the end of the previous hunting season and was shocked by just how little debri was found and how easy, and quick, it was get get clean jags comming back through after only a brief clean.

    Weather this can be attributed to the quality of the barrel (Pacnor) I cannot say, but I'm also running the C.E.B brass Raptors exclusively through my Verney Carron double .500 with the same non-issues regarding build-up.

    To be perferctly honest, even IF these brass slugs DID leave some fouling I would tolerate it based purely on their extreme performance on game.

    Straight line & deep penetration, less pressure, less barrel strain, increased velocities and extreme preformance on game in the field !

    Cheers,

    Paul.
    Paul Truccolo
    Southern Safaris Australia
    ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au
    www.southernsafaris.com.au

  10. #10
    PHOENIX PHIL's Avatar
    PHOENIX PHIL is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,872

    Member of SCI

    Hunted USA, S. Africa

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    To date I have in excess of 300+ pure brass C.E.B Safari Raptors down the tube of my .50cal wildcat with absolutely no signs of any metal fouling whatsoever.
    Infact (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it), I only just recently cleaned the barrel out for the very first time at the end of the previous hunting season and was shocked by just how little debri was found and how easy, and quick, it was get get clean jags comming back through after only a brief clean.

    Weather this can be attributed to the quality of the barrel (Pacnor) I cannot say, but I'm also running the C.E.B brass Raptors exclusively through my Verney Carron double .500 with the same non-issues regarding build-up.

    To be perferctly honest, even IF these brass slugs DID leave some fouling I would tolerate it based purely on their extreme performance on game.

    Straight line & deep penetration, less pressure, less barrel strain, increased velocities and extreme preformance on game in the field !

    Cheers,

    Paul.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner task, but I'd concur with Paul's findings. I don't have quite as many rounds through my .458B&M, but there's no visual signs looking into the muzzle.
    U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
    Email: philip.clayton@cox.net
    480-861-9232
    www.hvsafaris.com

Similar Threads

  1. .454 bullet selection
    By Serbian Hunter in forum Handguns
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM
  2. Bullet selection for reloading
    By PeteG in forum Reloading
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM
  3. Some advice on bullet weight and selection.
    By Christian3006 in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 03:53 AM
  4. Plains Game Rifle Selection
    By Second Wind in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM
  5. Need Help On Gun Selection For SA Plains Game
    By Silent Bob in forum Firearms & Ammunition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •